Wednesday, May 3, 2017

A Lesson from Essential Oils


Green Purple Flower
If you know me, you might know I love using essential oils. There’s just something about how they can make such a difference, yet they are natural and non-harmful to one’s health. Oh, and they smell good! Peppermint, lemon, thieves, and whatnot – they’re all part of God’s natural medicine. :)

Recently, I put some lemon and lavender essential oils in my bedroom’s diffuser. Those are good for relaxation, maintaining a good immune system, and the lemon also attributes a nice citrusy smell which I love! I put the diffuser lid on, and pressed the “mist” button – expecting a light cloud of good smells to come drifting out the top.

But it was quiet. Nothing happened. What could be the matter? I asked myself. As I searched for the issue, I realized the diffuser was not plugged in. Well, of course it didn’t work! I smiled amused, and proceeded to solve the problem and turn it on.

       A thought, seemingly from nowhere, flashed through my head. Perhaps, are you like the diffuser? 

       What an interesting analogy. So often, we can be like the diffuser -  something that has great potential, but on our own, we have no ability to do anything. But when we abide in Christ, and let the life sap of His strength, love, and character flow through us, we can literally diffuse the fragrance of Christ!

       Two thoughts I gathered from thinking about this...

       Without the power of Christ in our life, we cannot be a channel of love. Love is a fruit of the Spirit. Christ must literally live in and through us. As you let Christ love others through you, you become a channel of encouragement, help, and blessing to others, and are able to give to them in a meaningful way. Stay plugged into the life source and let the Lord live through you!

       Essential oils all smell different and are used for different purposes. Peppermint smells like peppermint, right? In the same way, we all have different gifts, abilities and talents. Maybe God hasn't given us the gift of one thing, but has given us talents in another area. Diffuse Christ right where He has called you to. Be faithful where you are. 

       Now thanks be to God who always leads us in triumph in Christ, and through us diffuses the fragrance of His knowledge in every place. For we are to God the fragrance of Christ among those who are being saved and among those who are perishing.
                                                                                                         2 Corinthians 2:14-15       

                  Press on, brothers and sisters! For it is not I who lives, but Christ who lives in me. 

12 comments:

  1. This is a neat analogy! :) I thought of the verse you included, and then you posted it at the end. I think it was about a BB verse this past year. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so neat, Carrie-Grace! :) Thanks for your comment! <3

      Delete
  2. Very interesting analogy to think about! I love how you mentioned that different essential oils are used for different purposes - that's a great way to explain our uniqueness! And I also find it interesting that many oils work together to create unique, helpful blends. When we follow God's instruction to live in unity as sisters in Christ, God can also use special combinations of our "oils" to create something beautiful, too!

    Thank you, Rachel! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Grace! <3 I love what you said about unity and working together...that's so true. Let us be a blessing together! <3

      Delete
  3. Great post, lovely <3 I love the analogy you shared :) Keep writing on! <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved this analogy, Rachel! Thanks for sharing. I think I needed this today. God bless you, dear heart! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, dear Esther! <3 Miss you <3

      Delete
  5. What a wonderful reminder! Thanks so much for posting this :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a unique analogy! Thanks for the encouragement!

    ReplyDelete