Saturday, May 27, 2017

Thankful for Beans?

You might call me bias, but I think I have one of the cutest little sisters ever. Lydia Katherine is two, loves to giggle, and melts my heart with her sweet baby kisses.

As her big sister, I usually keep close tabs on her to confirm she’s not getting into things like the honey jar or dishwasher with glass, which can happen verrry quickly. It keeps me (and the rest of my family!) busy chasing after our little sunshine, keeping her safe, and loving on her.

My little sunshine <3 

Our little blessing brings me so much joy, but she also teaches me some lessons. Oh, not as in she sits down with me and explains something, no, but through her sweet baby innocence.

Take the other day at lunch time, for example. Her plate was set in front of her, and she happily squealed in delight. “Beaaaans!” While it made me grin, it also challenged me.

How often am I thankful for the little things in life? The things we so often take for granted…the things that go unnoticed. The little things that are included in the “good gifts from the Father.” Maybe the things you take for granted, another person is praying for.

I heard a quote once that said “A grateful heart is a guarded heart.” How true this is. Have you ever noticed how grumpy you feel when you’re complaining or mumbling about something? When I am thankful and content in what my Lord has blessed me with, I am much more joyful and happy.

So, my friend, my challenge to you today is the following…

Be thankful for the little things. Take a moment to show the Lord gratitude for the beans on your plate. Say thank you for the cool breeze on your cheek, for the loving family you have, for the sunshine on your back, for the cozy bed you have to sleep in. 

Now, go write your own list! :)

Our God is so good to us, isn’t He?


Rejoice evermore. 
Pray without ceasing. 
In every thing give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you. 
1 Thessalonians 5:16-18 

14 comments:

  1. That might officially be the cutest picture I've ever seen. :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't she a doll? xDD Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  2. This reminds me of something I heard at our homeschool convention today! It was a quote from one of Benjamin Rush's prayer journals. He said, "I thank God every time I do not fall while walking on the stairs." It was really challenging for me. Thanks for writing this, Rachel! ❤️
    -Esther

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow, what a good quote! Thanks for sharing, and for your comment Essie! <3

      Delete
  3. So cute!! My 4-year-old brother teaches me so much too. Contentment is really a choice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Hannah!! Yes, that it is. Thanks for your comment! :)

      Delete
  4. I agree that she's super cute! Thanks so much for the reminder! Some friends and I realized recently during a book discussion that ingratitude is the root cause of so many problems--pride, grumbling, disobedience, and I don't know how many more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excellent thought! That is so true. Thanks for stopping by, Sarah! <3

      Delete
  5. She is the cutest baby ever xD she makes me smile too xD And so does her big sister ;) thanks for writing this, Rach!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a sweet reminder to be thankful for everything, even the little things! There's something about the simple but powerful faith of a child that can be both encouraging and convicting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't there though? Thanks for your comment, Gloria! :)

      Delete
  7. Aww, she is sooo adorable! I have a little sister her age... They are precious!! The certainly do teach us lessons. My little sister, Hosanna, is so polite; she says 'thank you' for even the smallest things, and although it's absolutely adorable, it's also humbling because she is saying thank you for things I take for granted! Don't we need more childlike faith like that in our world??!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Lydia does that too! "Tank ou!" and it's just so precious! =) Amen, that we do! Thanks for stopping by, Grace!

      Delete